Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Market-day



The weather is absolutely springy around here. The sun is shining like a dream, but don't let yourself be fooled: There's a nasty wind blowing that seems to go right through everything. Oooh, I like that feeling of pre-spring, the promise that lies in the air, but still there is time until everything will start off bein superbusy. Time for cleaning out the last of the old cobwebs and getting ready for everything that the warmer days will bring. Our next holiday - Ostara on the 21st of March is approaching quickly, and there's still some things to do until then. I'm cleaning out my kitchen (that's actually not such a big task, since my kitchen is tiny, and apart from a few spices and some pasta quite empty), and there's a day reserved for the big spring cleaning of the flat. Over at the WG, we're trying to rid the fridge and freezer from old stock, like all the leftovers from the Xmas geese. That means, we will have one or two more soup-evenings. Soups are great for using up all sorts of stuff, they're delicious, and they make dinner for a lot of friends.
Then of course, there has to be the last, celebrated fondue of the season. And then we will hopefully be ready to welcome a new flatmate for April.

The market also showed all signs of spring-busy-ness this morning. In the brillliant sunlight a lot more people were shopping for their weekly vegetables, and there were quite a few additional booths; three of them sold flowers and herbs. Oh the colors!
There was also one that sold cheese.
Vegetable-wise it is dry times. The winter vegetables are withering and the brussel sprouts for example looked all yellow and sad. There are some fresh things now, like some sorts of carrots, and salads. But they are horribly expensive.
I ended up with very common stuff like leech, cabbage, potatoes and carrots (old ones), and some apples. Apples seem to be the only affordable fruits at the moment, but that's quite ok. I was never a big apple fan and I am really ready to get into the apple mood. The time of my most favourite fruits - oranges - is fading anyways. Time to say goodbye and try something new.
It's the same with the vegetables. I realised that I have far more fun playing around with the stuff that I have and creating meals from them, then planning a meal from scratch. That would not be a good practice for my flat, since I never know how much food I will need in a week and I hate it if things go bad. But I'm bringing all the stuff to the WG and I can be sure that everything will be used up, since we mostly are at least four people for dinner.
I also think, planning your meals around vegetables is quite a healthy thing. I realise that the vegetables are becoming the most important thing in my meals. I used to decide if I wanted rice or potatoes or pasta, and then plan something around that. Now I'm doing the same with the veggies.

I spent around 20 Fr. again and I think that's a fair deal. I can't afford to buy absolutely everything on the market, so I mostly stay with vegetables, and sometimes fruits. I'm tinking about expanding on eggs, but I need to have a look on how many we normally use during a week. And I am working on some other solutions for a few often-used products. But I'll talk about this another time. Until then the major part of our groceries will still come from the supermarket. Local and seasonal, and if affordable, bio, of course.

But enough with the bla-bla, I've got a dough rising, and the sun calls for a bycicle trip.

2 Comments:

Elisa said...

I buy our veggies mostly (not all of course, celery roots and beets are best fresh and it is their season now) frozen! There are organic ones too. It is convenient because you only take out as much as you want and the rest goes straight back into the freezer. Nothing gets bad. Plus the brussels sprouts for example are green and fresh. AND the main reason is: frozen veggies have 60% more vitamins than "fresh" ones, because every hour after haarvesting is crucial, especially with air and sunlight the vitamins fade away. Plus it is 2-3 Euros for 1kg of pure veggies which is really a great price. I do this for 3 years now and can only recommend it! We stopped buying processed foods, so 1/4 of our big huge freezer is full of veggie bags

Everybody has the wrong illusion, that "fresh" veggies from the market are the best you can get, but nutrotion- wise that is complete rubbish. No predjudices pplease, go out and try it! :-)

yaga said...

Hey thanks for that input, but i don't think it works here... we do not have a big selection of frozen veggies and they are about three times more expensive than the fresh ones. I was recently told that the vitamin loss is actually not as bad as everybody thinks... I think this needs some researching.
And of course, buying at the market has other main reasons than freshness and healthyness: short transportation, no packaging processes and supporting local farmers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...