I am so proud and happy to introduce this guestposter to you: Simone is my beloved little sister. She's nine years younger than me and I grew up being something like her second mama.
Well, she's all big now and she wrote a great article for you about why playing base guitar is really cool! :o)
Hey everyone. I'm Simone, Yaga's baby-sister. She asked me to write a post for the Shiny Bubble and here I am now.
Since playing bass guitar is one of my greatest passions, I decided on writing a post about reasons why playing bass guitar is so cool.
Well then, let's start:
- Hormones. I know, it's unlikely to be true, but I always say that the vibrations somehow stimulate my body to release happy hormones. It doesn't matter how bad my day was, playing bass guitar makes it wonderful.
- It is something besides school and all the other challenges in life which helps me to keep the balance. I don't have to practice, therefore I play bass guitar because I want to, not because I have to..
- Every time I don't know what to do I just sit down and play what comes to my mind. I have to admit, I'm not very good at just playing and inventing my own bass lines. But just to hear the sound has something relaxing.
- It is one of the aspects you can hold on to in life. Something, that is always there, every Thursday one lesson. It's there and it wont change at least you don't want it to.
- While playing bass guitar, the world is alright. For me, this is absolutely true. I can forget everything that doesn't work well at the moment. Playing means playing and nothing else.
- It's easy to play. Everyone who can play guitar should be able to play bass guitar. Of course, for things like slapping, you need a lot of practice. I've been playing for two and a half years now. The most difficult song I gave a try is probably “Sunshine Highway” from Dropkick Murphys and I think I did a pretty good job for not being disciplined enough to practice everyday. It took me a long time to get the right speed, but now I'm very proud of myself.
- Friends. You can make a lot of friends, or let's say acquaintances. In average, at least one person talks to me when I'm walking around in the city with my bass. Even if I'm just sitting in the train, at least someone is interested in my “guitar” (no, it's not a guitar, it's a BASS guitar. I don't know how often I used this sentence already..)
- Bass guitar players are the most demanded musicians at the moment. Almost every band is looking for one. I don't know why, but there seems to be a lack of bass guitar players. So take your Chance! ;)
I think you have to be the bass guitar-type to play it. Like there are some guitar-guys, and so on. But I would really recommend it, at least just to give it a try. It's great, I promise!
I hope I was able to show you what playing bass guitar means to me. Of course, these reasons would fit for (almost) every instrument. But I think bass guitar is one of the coolest ever.
Thanks for reading and thanks to my beloved sister that I could share this with you. It really means a lot to me to write for her blog. ((:I mean, seriously. Sunshine Highway? I knew Simen is cool, but that cool? It cracks me up! :o)